quotes sayings Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday, November 10, 2008

The Side Effects of Met

So I have some good news this week. I've been asking my OB to put me on a medication called metformin for a long time. It's actually a diabetic drug but it has has a lot of success helping women with PCOS manage their symptoms and lose weight. But my Ob has always been more concerned about helping me get pregnant again, rather than treating my PCOS. So last week I made an appointment to see my family doctor and he had no problem prescribing the medication for me. Without getting too technical, metformin helps with insulin resistance.

Now the bad news. 50% of women who take met will have no side effects at all, and about 25% of women will have low-moderate side effects, and 25% of women will have extreme side effects.

Does anyone want to take a guess as to what group I fall into?

I have been taking this medication for 3 days now, the majority of which I have been in my bathroom having an overly-friendly relationship with my toilet. When I'm not in there I am nauseous and have horrible headaches, not to mention the fatigue and stomach cramps. Part of me this morning was considering if lying on the floor and dying wouldn't be a better option than taking my morning dose. I will adjust to the medication, most women will have no symptoms at all after 2-3 weeks.

That's right...2-3 WEEKS! So 3 days of complete misery down, only 18 days to go. If any of you who live close to me want to drive over here and shoot me I'd appreciate it.

On the bright side I've lost 5 lbs in 3 days. You can guess how.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

(((((HUGS))))) I have SO been there! It made me poopy for each and every dose I took of it. But hey, on the plus side, you are losing weight! LMBO! If you need anything -- including a kid break, give me a call and I will come steal them :)

Unknown said...

I'm soooo sorry! Not the way things should be at all. I hope that you really don't have to wait that long. I'll pray for the lesser of the two (maybe 11 days sounds a little better......maybe not.) Lots of Love!!!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I just found out I have hyperthyroidism. What fun! I'm on eltroxin, which I've been told has all sorts of fun side effects, though vomiting isn't one of them, thank goodness.

I had a roommate in college with PCOS. After trying unsuccessfully to have kids, she was put on met and lost around 70 pounds. I guess that's a plus, right? She never talked about side effects, so I have no great wisdom to impart.

I hate vomit. When others do it or when I do it, so I feel for you, my friend. I'm sorry you're going through this. But in the end, it will all be worth it. I wish I were still in AZ, we could train for a 5k together. I actually ran my first a while ago (though I didn't run the whole way). I'm determined to run an entire race by the end of this month.

Lindsay said...

Hope you are feeling better. Let me know when you are Bryan wants to have you guys over for dinner... he needs Davids help pulling down the tv to hook some thng up. But hey it's a free dinner... right:)