quotes sayings Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday, May 5, 2008

Car Trip + Tired Kids = Emotional Eating

There's nothing to describe the experience of being in a car with 2 small children for 13 hours. It would drive any one to drink..or in my case to a box of oatmeal creme pies. Which I might point out I don't even like! I've always been an emotional eater and it's more then choosing to eat something bad or to eat something good. How many times have you seen an overweight person at a fast food restaurant and thought something like this, "If they didn't eat so many french fries, they wouldn't be so fat!" If losing weight was as simple as choosing to eat one food over another don't you think everyone would be thin? Who would choose to stay in a situation that makes them so unhappy? It's true that the basic science of weight loss is burning more calories then you eat, but the reality is much more complicated.

Emotional eaters eat to make themselves feel better about something, which in turn makes them feel guilty about their weight and self-control, which in turn drives them to eat more so they can feel better. The key to breaking this cycle for me is to find something that will make me feel better without turning to food. A lot of people will use exercise for this but I place exercise more in the "necessary evil" category then in the "reward" section. Any ideas? What do you do when you are upset to make yourself feel better?

Well, I didn't do great in Utah. But I didn't do badly either. I was at 223 this morning which is up 1 pound from last week. But thinking about all the junk I ate yesterday on the way home I'm just happy it wasn't more. I'm thrilled to be home and back to my routine. Back with my exercise bike and my kitchen where I feel more in control. I'm not beating myself up about the mistakes of yesterday but instead am recommitting myself to this week's effort. I thankful for all of you who are following my progress and really appreciate your support.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Amy I totally feel your pain. I hate driving to Utah. I am a emotional eater too. I have been walking in the mornings with a few of the girls in the ward. Do you guys have a walking group? The time flys when we are talking.I am getting a Wii fit for mother's day you will have to come over and do it with me I am hoping it is a good summer work out. It looks like alot of fun and it tracks your progress.

Have you tryed doing some kind of service when you are needing some thing extra. You might try makeing baby booties for a the needy or some thing like that then you could fouces on makeing some thing and feel good about what you are doing. I shop to make my self feel better but David might not like that segestion.

Any how me and Bryan are proud of you and keep up the good work.

Love Lindsay